Window on the West

Personal reflections on my passions: Literature, film, and music; the politics of breastfeeding, parenting, and childbirth; current events; pithy observations.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

40-something college-educated woman with two children, widowed, remarried, employed, professional volunteer

Thursday, November 11, 2004

The Left Doesn't Get It

Here's my first political post. I wrote a letter to my local paper, The Charlotte Observer, in Charlotte, NC last Saturday, and they published an extremely edited version of it on Thursday. I was so incensed over the insults and accusations from the liberal left after the presidential election, that I high-lighted all the adjectives in just the Friday paper, and included them, plus the "dumb" headline in The Daily Mirror, London, in my letter. This letter is not directed to my more liberal friends, who have always treated me with respect. Rather, it is addressed to the sore losers who equate insult with political debate, and in the process, turn off even more voters. First I will present my unedited letter from my e-mail program, and then a section from the Observer Forum. I included the letter printed before mine, because this writer included even more adjectives than me, and was probably the reason for the hack-job on mine.


Original E-mail
To: Charlotte Observer Sent: 11/6/2004 3:27 PM
Re: letter to the editor

When will the left get it? Instead of examining the failure of their message, they insult the right and center of this country, hardly an effective strategy. We who voted for Bush are not "dumb," "willfully ignorant," "manipulated," "exploited," "bigoted and prejudiced," or "hoodwinked." Do they actually think 58 million people went to the polls and blindly voted for Bush without considering the issues and the potential impact of their votes on themselves or their fellow man? On the contrary, we examined the issues and voted our conscience. Why don’t you spend your immense intellectual prowess on understanding why we think the way we do and find you so deficient?

Selection from the Charlotte Observer Forum

Posted on Thu, Nov. 11, 2004
Observer Forum: Letters to the Editor

We Bush voters know what you think of us

Enough whining and threats. We understand clearly now: Those of us who voted for the president are illiterate, inferior, bigoted, greedy, deceitful, redneck, stupid, bullying, uninformed, criminal, overly religious, moralistic, Neanderthal, violent, hysterical, hate-filled and myopic -- and we probably have bad breath because of the raw meat we eat in our catacombs.Are we really the ones who just don't get it?

Thomas F. Cochran Sr.
Charlotte

Study, don't criticize, those who backed Bush

Will those on the left ever get it? Instead of examining the failure of their message, they insult the right and center. Why don't they spend some of their immense intellectual prowess on understanding why we in the 59 million think the way we do and find them so deficient?

Mary Joan J. Vaccarella
Hickory

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Joan said...

Oh, wow! A comment! I'm so excited. Can you tell I'm not exactly an avid blogger? I just post when I feel like it.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. How dare someone insult your intelligence. I find your writing intelligent and mature. If I didn't already know how old you are, I would never be able to guess.

Of course, now that we have a free Afghanistan, a free Iraq, and a wave of freedom rolling through the Middle East, the Left is finally beginning to question their beliefs. Nothing works like success.

11:10 PM, March 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home