Window on the West

Personal reflections on my passions: Literature, film, and music; the politics of breastfeeding, parenting, and childbirth; current events; pithy observations.

My Photo
Name:
Location: North Carolina, United States

40-something college-educated woman with two children, widowed, remarried, employed, professional volunteer

Monday, August 08, 2005

More Blogging

I have decided I really should update this blog more often. I started it as more of a repository, but I should take the time to record more daily observations. For example, back in May, I had the privilege of driving my mother's Mercedes. Es. What is the plural of Mercedes? Anyway, first I drove her emergency back-up Mercedes, a two-seater convertible, that even with the hard top on, has enough wind rushing through the cracks to simulate open-top driving. The next week I drove her main Mercedes. Felt like a little kid steering a parked car in the driveway.

Later that month, I got a surprising letter in the mail from an unfamiliar law firm. Seems I have another here-to-fore unknown relative who has passed away, leaving me as one of a couple of dozen heirs. It's like something out of a movie, but Mother says not to expect too much. Last time this happened I got about $3000 from the sale of "Grandma's" house. "Grandma" was my father's grandmother, and she had a most unusual will. She had eight children and an AWOL husband, so she stipulated in her will that her home was to remain unsold for the use of her adult unmarried children, and that under no circumstances was her husband to have any claim to it. When the last of her children died, it could then be sold and the proceeds distributed to her grandchildren. The last surviving child is still living, but she signed off on the sale because her only child stood to inherit the largest share. There were only five grandchildren total, and two of them are deceased, including my father, so those shares were further divided among the great-grandchildren. Hence my $3000 share.

I also need to document my summer "vacation," when I took my children alone to a 4-day educational conference. That's going to take some time, but obviously, the children and I survived, with no meltdowns, no threats of beatings…Well, it was a parenting conference – I couldn't very well spank them right in front of the gentle discipline folks. After the conference I took them to the beach so we could "relax". Hotter than hell, and we didn't get to do a whole lot of relaxing, but the kids had fun. Payback I guess for sitting quietly in conference sessions for days.

And now that I've caught you up, my latest observations…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home